Position Title: Licensed Vocational Nurse
Job Type: Full-Time
Work Shift: All Shifts
Open: January 16, 2020
The LVN works under the guidance of the Assistant Director and works at least 40 hours per week. The LVN will, within the guidelines of the LVN license, provide health care services for CFF residents. The LVN will carry out physician orders and facilitate the medical care of all residents.
The hours are primarily 8am-5pm or 7am-4pm Monday-Friday with On Call. No work on weekends or holidays unless called in.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides health care screening, education, evaluation, instruction and counseling to facility residents.
- Carries out physician’s orders.
- Works with the Registered Nurse (RN) and/or Assistant Director, as requested, in the development and implementation of programs relating to the medical well- being and treatment of facility residents.
- Upon request, attend and participate in phase reviews/counselor staffing.
- Assures that the residents’ rights are protected and report any violations to the Facility Director.
- Attends and participates in facility staff meetings as required.
- At the request of the RN/Assistant Director/Facility Director, employee shall investigate, complete a written report, and make recommendations in regards to alleged staff and/or resident misconduct.
- Is a liaison between the residential facilities and medical/pharmaceutical professionals.
- Maintains resident and/or employee confidentiality in accordance to CJAD, HIPAA and other applicable laws and standards.
- Completes and/or maintains all training necessary to retain medical professional licensing.
- Prepares and dispenses medications. Trains staff in the area of self-administration and supervises self-administration. Maintains and oversees the inventory and security of all facility residents’ medication. Assures that CJAD standards in reference to medications are followed.
- Prepares, maintains and files medical charts, records and/or other required medical documentation on facility residents and employees.
- Performs TB skin tests and/or other vaccinations on facility residents and employees.
- Requests special diets as necessary.
- Maintains cleanliness of the work area.
- Answers inquiries made by residents and staff.
- Transports residents to medical appointments as necessary.
- Administers CPR, first aid or emergency treatment as required.
- Is knowledgeable of and uses Universal Precautions when dealing with residents.
- Conducts self in a professional manner with colleagues in the criminal justice system, with offenders, with victims, and with the public.
- Complies with CJAD Standards; Residential Code of Ethics; Departmental policies and procedures; any standards/ethics that apply to the employee’s medical profession.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Current licensure as Licensed Vocational Nurse issued by the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners
- Solid understanding of the dynamics of the disease of addiction and various program types pertinent to the addictive personality
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position which may include bending, pushing, pulling, lifting up to 50 pounds, standing and/or sitting for extended periods of time
- Ability to operate various office equipment and equipment needed to assess residents
- Ability to travel as required
- Knowledge of procedures to administer CPR and/or first aid in an emergency situation
- Have the ability to utilize a personal computer
- Be able to work independently and efficiently.
- Possess skills to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include evenings, weekends and holidays
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to conduct fair and objective medical evaluations
- Possess good judgment and sound decision making skills
- Ability to project and maintain an image consistent with the aims, goals and philosophy of the Concho Valley Community Supervision and Corrections Department
- Ability to effectively and consistently communicate the mission and philosophy of the Department
- Ability to take direction and critique from supervisory and administrative personnel
- Ability to follow the philosophy, policies, procedures and directives of the Concho Valley Community Supervision and Corrections Department
- Must possess a current, valid Texas Driver’s License (if employee is coming to this position from another state, this requirement must be met no later than thirty days following date of employment)
- Must have a telephone number at which they can be reached
- Must have access to an automobile in good repair that can be used while on duty
- Must maintain the appropriate automobile insurance
- Must maintain appropriate dress and appearance as indicated in Concho Valley Community Supervision and Corrections Department policies